The Lies We Tell Ourselves: How to Face the Truth, Accept Yourself, and Create a Better Life
What Are The Most Common Lies You Tell Yourself? https://lukeford.net/blog/?p=142558
Therapist Jon Frederickson writes in The Lies We Tell Ourselves: How to Face the Truth, Accept Yourself, and Create a Better Life:
* We become well by relating to what is here; we become ill by relating to our fantasies. The therapist stops us from running away from ourselves so we can rest in reality. Remaining in this moment, we feel our feelings, which always reach out to us through anxiety. Anxiety, strangely enough, invites us to dive inside to the places from which we always run, the places we are afraid to descend into and explore.
In effect, therapists always give the same message: “What you run from is where you need to rest. What you fear you need to face. What you ignore you need to hear.”
* “You are the most important person you will ever meet,” she says. “Why not be on good terms with yourself?”
* To be on good terms with ourselves, we must learn to listen to who we are under the words, the excuses, and the explanations we use.
* These beliefs, called “projections,” seem true because they are real: they are the realities we reject in ourselves and relocate in others. If we criticize ourselves, we imagine others criticize us. If we ignore ourselves, we imagine others ignore us. If we fail to care for ourselves, we believe people don’t care for us. However, the persons we project upon can be the mirrors we look at to see, learn, and accept what we reject in ourselves.
* “Breakdown can always point to the break-through of a deeper truth, since only that which is false in you can break down. Truth does not break. Some call this recognition ‘waking up,’ some call it ‘self-realization.’”
* When facts kill our wishes, a few of us may seek to kill ourselves to wipe out the pain of the dying wish, what the suicide researcher Edwin Shneidman called “psychache.” 3 Experiencing the living death of the dying dream, we may choose physical death to abort the painful birth known as grieving.
Join this channel to get access to perks:
https://odysee.com/@LukeFordLive, https://lbry.tv/@LukeFord, https://rumble.com/lukeford
Listener Call In #: 1-310-997-4596
Soundcloud MP3s: https://soundcloud.com/luke-ford-666431593
Code of Conduct: https://lukeford.net/blog/?p=125692
http://lukeford.net Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org or DM me on Twitter.com/lukeford
Support the show | https://www.streamlabs.com/lukeford, https://patreon.com/lukeford, https://PayPal.Me/lukeisback
Feel free to clip my videos. It's nice when you link back to the original.