Candle Sparks a Serious House Fire
Occurred on August 29, 2020 / Wheat Ridge, Colorado, USA
Info from Licensor: "We were finishing up a birthday get together for my 88-year-old grandfather, Lawrence Peters, with severe dementia. My aunt was on her way out the door and forgot that she had left her purse behind so she went back in to grab it. Thankfully she did because had it been another 30 seconds and we would not have been able to get him out of there. He is a retired Denver Police sergeant. We had a fire extinguisher and smoke detectors but they didn't work when it came. The fire started from a candle on the table and a gust of wind that blew the drape on top of the candle without anyone noticing. There were 20 people in the house when this started and thankfully everyone was able to get out safely."