The Cornish Hen Recipe I Made EVERY Thanksgiving
This Cornish Hen Recipe is coated in a garlic and herb rub and roasted until golden brown for the perfect main entrée for any occasion. I absolutely love the simplicity of preparing these and their wonderful flavors.
Ingredients for this recipe:
• 2 thawed Cornish Hens
• 1 finely grated garlic clove
• zest of 1 lemon
• 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh rosemary
• 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh thyme
• 1 teaspoon regular paprika
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 teaspoons coarse salt
• ½ teaspoon ground pepper
Serves 2 to 4
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 425°.
2. Pat the hens dry inside the cavity and outside with paper towels. Set them aside.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the garlic, lemon zest, rosemary, thyme, paprika, salt, pepper, and oil until combined.
4. Evenly divide the garlic and herb rub between the hens and coat them on all sides and in the cavity.
5. Tuck the wings behind the hen and tie the drums together using butcher’s twine.
6. Transfer them to a roasting pan on a rack, and using a spatula, scrape all the remaining herb and garlic oil and rub onto the top of the hens.
7. Bake in the oven on a lower rack at 425° for 50-60 minutes or until the thickest part of the breast reads 163° to 165°.
8. Remove the game hens and rest for 2 to 3 minutes.
9. Cut the hens in half along with the spice, or serve them whole with optional garnishes of lemons, fresh rosemary, and thyme. Try serving this with my Roasted Red Potatoes and Green Beans Almondine.