Critically endangered turtle's unusual meal makes it toxic to eat

WildCreaturesPublished: March 16, 2017Updated: March 17, 201713,565 viewsVirality: 29%
Published: March 16, 2017Updated: March 17, 2017

Hawksbill turtles are critically endangered. Seeing such a large one up close is a diver's delight. It is very rare to be able to closely observe one as it eats. This turtle was so relaxed with a diver that it swam lazily along beside her until it saw a large sponge growing among the coral. She was amazed to capture photographs of the turtle up close as it ate its meal. Hawksbill turtles are one of the very few creatures that can safely eat a sponge. The compounds in them can make the Hawksbill's flesh toxic to humans and other animals. Scientists are still undecided about what makes this turtle able to eat sponges.

Recommend tags
  • endangered turtle eats sponge toxic+1

endangered turtle eats sponge toxic

Comments