Disturbing footage Melbourne CBD Car Plunges Into Packed Street

3023Published: January 21, 2017Updated: January 24, 201719 views
Published: January 21, 2017Updated: January 24, 2017

Three people have died and at least 20 more are injured after a car ploughed into pedestrians in Melbourne's city centre during the lunchtime rush.

The maroon vehicle was seen doing burnouts outside Flinders Street Station before driving into crowds of shoppers on bust Bourke Street.

The mangled wreckage of half a pram is stuck on the bonnet of the car, while what appears to be the other half is further up the mall at a pedestrian crossing on William St.

Police have arrested a man wearing nothing but red underwear at the Elizabeth St end of the mall.

Officers said the incident is believed to be linked to a stabbing of a man in Windsor, in Melbourne's south-east at 2am on Friday.

'At this early stage it is believed a man driving a vehicle has struck a number of pedestrians in the vicinity of Bourke and Queens Streets just before 2pm,' Victoria Police said in a statement.
'Emergency services are assisting multiple patients but at least one person has been confirmed deceased.

'Pedestrian access has been closed on Bourke Street between William and Swanston Streets.

'The exact circumstances surrounding the incident are yet to be determined and we will provide further information when it comes to hand.

Police said the situation had been contained, but have requested that people avoid the area.

Emergency services in Melbourne are overwhelmed, with paramedics on Code Red meaning anyone available to work must do so.
A number of hospitals are on Code Brown, meaning an external emergency.

Witnesses have described the chaotic scenes that unfolded before them, while footage appears to show the suspect doing burnouts in front of Flinders Street Station.

At least one toddler is believed to be among the victims after the child's pram was dragged down the street.

'The child from the pram was dragged 100m down Bourke St with the car,' a witness said, adding the child looked around 'three or four years old'.

'People were running out of the way, they were going very very fast,' another witness, Rebecca Russo, told The Age.
'I saw him hit a few people. I saw bodies flying into the air.'

Other people said they heard a boom and gunshots, with one man telling Sky News there was 'a hell of a lot of blood'.

The same witness also claimed he saw the car hit a pram.

'There's someone on the middle of the ground and there's blood all over the street,' Rishi Hathiramani, a CBD shopkeeper, told AAP.

'I've seen accidents but never this bad.

'It's pretty brutal.'

A number of CBD businesses are in lockdown, while others have been evacuated.

'A heap of people ran into my store, it was horrible. Half of my staff are in tears,' a Strandbags manager told AAP.

City office worker William Mulholland said he came out of a laneway and saw a number of bodies lying on the pavement receiving CPR from police and emergency workers.

He said his friend came out of the RACV building on Bourke St and saw a body lying on the pavement in front of him.

'He said he heard two shots, coming from the direction of King St,' Mr Mulholland told AAP.

Ambulance Victoria confirmed a number of people have been injured in the chaotic scenes.

'Paramedics are assessing 20 people after an incident in Bourke Street in the CBD this afternoon,' they said in a statement.

'A number of people were struck by a car just before 1.40pm. A number of those have serious injuries.

'Ambulance Victoria has numerous ambulances and managers at the scene.'

************** UPDATE About The Guy Driving The Car ****************

The man who allegedly mowed down 18 people in Melbourne’s CBD on Friday, killing three and injuring 20 others, has a history of drug use, violence and psychological problems.

James “Jimmy” Gargasoulas, 26, stayed with his mother in a public housing flat in Windsor, where he allegedly stabbed his brother, Angelo, in the early hours of Friday morning.

Neighbours said they had regularly heard arguing inside the Raleigh Street unit.

The car Mr Gargasoulas allegedly used to mow down pedestrians belonged to 76-year-old Gavin Wilson, who lives at the housing commission flats.

Mr Wilson said Mr Gargasoulas was a “nice kid”, but on Wednesday night he became violent.

He said he came into his flat with a Bible, sat down and started burning it before throwing the burning book into his face.

“I flicked it onto the floor then he stood up and punched me,” Mr Wilson said.

He said Mr Gargasoulas then attacked him. “Give me your keys or I’ll gouge your eyes out,” Mr Gargasoulas allegedly demanded.

Mr Gargasoulas’ erratic behaviour dramatically escalated on Friday morning.

Recommend tags
  • car+1
  • disturbing+1
  • melbourne+1
  • footage+1
  • cbd+1

cardisturbingmelbournefootagecbd

Comments