galwaycinematography's Videos

Drone View Of Clonbrock House 3m03s

Drone View Of Clonbrock House

Clonbrock House Designed by William Leeson and built in the 1780s. In 1837 Lewis recorded it as the seat of Lord Clonbrock. In 1786 Wilson refers to Clonbrock as the seat of R. Dillon. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the house at Clonbrock was valued at £100. In 1906 it was valued at £135. The house was badly damaged by fire in the 1980s and only one wing is now inhabited.

Clonbrock Photography House 8m51s

Clonbrock Photography House

There was a photographer's studio, dubbed the “Photograph House”, because the nine (9!) daughters of Lord Clonbrock had taken up the then, new hobby.This photography house may be the only one in ireland

Drone Footage Captures Spectacle Of Irish Boating Event In Galway3m54s

Drone Footage Captures Spectacle Of Irish Boating Event In Galway

We are treated to a peaceful reprieve from the usual melodrama. A bucolic scene of a red sailed Galway hooker plies the coastline of Galway Bay. The vessels, including the smaller currach of ancient design are purely of Irish origin. Ireland is an island, after all, and it would have no inhabitants but for the courage of a sea faring people. We can imagine the captain’s thoughts, “All I need is a calm sea, and wind to fill my sail.” Besides their ruddy hue, the Galway hooker is identifiable by its bowsprit lashed to a bluff bow; the single mast with mainsail, and two foresails. In our bird’s eye view, the hookers seem more engaged as a duet than a duel. If there is any contest at all, it is between the individual captain and his God. At the 2:44 mark we see the contrast between the hooker cruising in full sail and the hooker at rest, with its two foresails rolled. It is a peaceful boat, with a peaceful purpose. The boat was originally made for fishing , an essential livelihood of the Irish people whose peculiar fortune it is to be surrounded by a harsh sea. At around the 3 minute mark we see a lone hooker pushed by the wind, rather showing off as the beam reach causes heeling to starboard (the wind makes the boat lean to the right). Is this a normal work day for the crew, or do they get pleasure from participating in the event? And what of the drone operator, who captures such pure footage that we taste the very essence of sailing in this video? If videography is a valid art form, perhaps it’s time to recognize the degrees of excellence between drone pilots. And where the skilled drone pilot meets skilled sailboat captain, well, we get this. “At sea, I learned how little a person needs, not how much,” said Robin Lee Graham. Near the end of the video, we see a view of the stern where the pilot is guiding the rudder and a glimpse of a mate at his side, seemingly enraptured by a book, leaning back; his feet casually resting atop the hull. We don’t know what time of day these mariners are at their pastime, but we get a sense of a rather warm, peaceful afternoon in the bay. The currach takes second billing in this video, and briefly, we get to see the geography of the area, as well. The harbor looks safe and shallow, but beyond the strip of land on our “port” side”, we can see the open ocean. It’s likely the sailors take their roles with more seriousness intent. We hope the author brings more of the soul of Ireland through the window of our laptops and smartphones. You are our passport without jet lag, and your vision requires no currency exchange. Finally, we leave the reader with this anonymous blessing: “May good luck be your Captain, and sunshine be your Mate. May laughter be your Pilot, and happiness be your freight.”

Loop Head Lighthouse: The edge of Ireland2m54s

Loop Head Lighthouse: The edge of Ireland

There has been a lighthouse at Loop Head since 1670, originally a signal fire on the roof of a single-storey cottage (which can still be seen on the grounds), where the lightkeeper lived. The present tower, which stands 23 metres high, was built in 1854. The range of the light is 23 nautical miles and its ‘character’ is a white light flashing four times in 20 seconds. The operation was converted to electricity in 1871, and automated in 1991. Loop Head (Irish: Ceann Léime, meaning "leap head") is a headland on the north side of the mouth of the River Shannon, in County Clare in the west of Ireland. Loop Head is marked by a prominent lighthouse. The opposite headland on the south side of the Shannon is Kerry Head. The Shannon Foynes Port Company controls navigation in the Shannon estuary and river. Loop Head peninsula, has the Atlantic Ocean on one side and the Shannon Estuary on the other, with barely a mile of land saving it from island status.

Drone Captures WWII Lookout Tower On Top Of Doon Hill In Ireland2m12s

Drone Captures WWII Lookout Tower On Top Of Doon Hill In Ireland

The Second World War is a dark page in the history books. It was a devastation of human lives and nature unlike anything the world had ever seen before. There are a lot of debates about the date it started on, but most historians consider the beginning of WWII as the day Germany invaded Poland on September 1, 1939. Although most of the war activities happened on European soil, there were fights in the Pacific Ocean as well as the northern parts of the African continent. The Second World War affected almost all of the countries in the world despite the fact that not all of them participated, because the usual trade routes were closed and it was the downfall to many economies. Contrary to these, some economies thrived because of the great demand for military supplies, but they eventually crashed after the end of it. Although the death toll is unknown, it is estimated to be around 60 million people, 20 of them being military and 40 million of them being civilians. The Second World War is notorious for the atrocious crimes committed against humanity. It proved that when it comes to war, all bets are off. Millions of people were killed because of their religious beliefs, ethnicity, the color of their skin or just out of spite. The atomic bomb was used and it became the symbol of utter destruction. People were herded in concentration camps like livestock and starved to death. In some places of the world, brothers were fighting brothers, children were holding weapons and parents were burying their offspring. All in all, this gruesome period in human history serves as a reminder that human life is frail and we should protect it and cherish it forever. During World War II, a number of coastal lookout points were built around Ireland to monitor shipping and air traffic. Ireland had declared itself neutral. In total, 84 of these lookout points were constructed. They consisted of what can best be described as a little concrete bunker. About 50 of those structures have left footprints or are still standing. They are built of concrete, and most of them are in a state of disrepair. There was a tiny fireplace in it, otherwise it was pretty much open to the elements. Volunteers were assigned to each of the look out posts on eight hour shifts. If there is one thing Ireland is known for, then it must be its breathtaking scenery. The lush greenery and coastal landscape is what has captivated people throughout history. The old castle ruins overgrown with moss are especially appreciated by filmmakers who chose Ireland as a filming destination for many of their films. The green island has been in the background of many movies and series such as Game of Thrones, Braveheart, Saving Private Ryan, Vikings, The Tudors and many others. What dо you think about this video? Make sure you tell us more in the comments down below. If you like what you see, don’t forget to share it with others who might like it as well. It just might be the highlight of their day! Enjoy!

Kylemore Abbey 2m35s

Kylemore Abbey

Kylemore Castle was built as a private home for the family of Mitchell Henry, a wealthy doctor from London whose family was involved in textile manufacturing in Manchester, England. He moved to Ireland when he and his wife Margaret purchased the land around the Abbey. He became a politician, becoming an MP for County Galway from 1871 to 1885. The castle was designed by James Franklin Fuller, aided by Ussher Roberts. The construction of the castle began in 1867, and took the total of one hundred men and four years to complete. The castle covered approximately 40,000 square feet (3,700 m2) and had over seventy rooms with a principal wall that was two to three feet thick. The facade measures 142 feet (43 m) in width and is made of granite brought from Dalkey by sea to Letterfrack and from limestone brought from Ballinasloe. There were 33 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 4 sitting rooms, a ballroom, billiard room, library, study, school room, smoking room, gun room and various offices and domestic staff residences for the butler, cook, housekeeper and other servants. Other buildings include a Gothic cathedral and family mausoleum containing the bodies of Margaret Henry, Mitchell Henry and a great grand-nephew. The Abbey remained in Henry's estate after he returned to England. The castle was sold to the Duke and Duchess of Manchester in 1909, who resided there for several years before being forced to sell the house and grounds because of gambling debts. In 1920, the Irish Benedictine Nuns purchased the Abbey castle and lands after they were forced to flee Ypres, Belgium during World War I. The nuns, who had been based in Ypres for several hundred years, had been bombed out of their Abbey during World War I. The nuns continued to offer education to Catholic girls, opening an international boarding school and establishing a day school for girls from the locality. The school acted as the main educator for most girls from Renvyle, Letterfrack and further afield for almost a century but it was forced to close in June 2010.[1] Walled Victorian Gardens, Kylemore Abbey The Estate includes large walled Victorian Gardens. Since the 1970s these have been open for public tours and 'nature' walks. The Benedictine community has restored the Abbey's gardens and Cathedral with donations and local artisans in order to be a self-sustaining estate.

Eerie deserted village in Ireland filmed from drone2m16s

Eerie deserted village in Ireland filmed from drone

Close by Dugort, at the base of Slievemore mountain (671 metres) in the Republic of Ireland, lies the Deserted Village. The village is divided into three areas called Tuar, Tuar Riabach and Faiche. There are approximately 100 houses in the village, aligned north-south and parallel to each other. The atmosphere of the Deserted Village is unique; it's remoteness; a feeling of almost intruding on those who lived there. The houses were built of un-mortared stone, which means that no cement or mortar was used to hold the stones together. Each house consisted of just one room and this room was used as kitchen, living room, bedroom and even stable. The doorways were east-facing, while one small window was built in the north-east wall. While one or two houses may have had a small stable built on to the end of the house, most families had to share their house with cows and other livestock, who would be brought into the house at night and tied at southern end. The tethering rings can still be seen in the walls. The most of the houses had opposing doorways to facilitate families on their daily task of milking cows. The cow was taken in one door, milked, and then taken out through the opposing door. Inside many houses, a shallow channel or drain in the floor led into a manure pit outside the building. This feature along with the opposing doorways suggests an earlier building phase. According to archaeologists the field systems and the lazy beds found in this area indicate several occupation phases. Also some remains suggest there was a settlement here during the Anglo-Norman period. The village was gradually abandoned because of the many evictions for non-payment of rent during Sr Richard O’Donnell’s tenure, the 1845-49 famines and the emigration throughout the successive years. Until 1940s the village was used as a booley in summertime.

The World’s Tallest Round Tower 3m35s

The World’s Tallest Round Tower

Kilmacduagh Round Tower. Dating back to the 7th century this is one of Ireland’s oldest monastic sites. The Round Tower has a clear lean and whilst many surrounding buildings are ruins, Dimensions: There is an offset discernible on the west side of the tower, as the ground level slopes a bit on that side. Above this offset, the circumference is 17.86 meters, giving it an external diameter of 5.68 meters. The overall height of the tower is just about 34 meters, making it the tallest round tower in existence. The doorway, facing ENE is also extraordinary in that it is over 7 meters above ground level. This extreme height of the doorway causes some controversy in the usual assumption that an entry ladder would simply be pulled through the doorway into the tower in times of distress, as no rigid ladder of such length would fit through the tower doorway, nor would a rigid ladder fit inside the tower if it could be pulled inside. Kilmacduagh has the greatest number of windows of any existing round tower: 11. All are angle headed. The five windows in the drum in ascending order face N, SSE, W, E and WSW. When the building was repaired in 1878-79, three windows were restored to the original three. These six windows face NE ENE, ESE, SW, WSW, and WNW. Features: The extreme height of the doorway, the number of bell-storey windows, and the significant lean to the SW all make this a quite unique tower. The cap on the drum is unusual in that it sits not atop a cornice, but overhangs the drum. Comments: The walls are over six feet thick at the base, underneath which lie some skeletons, confirming that the tower had been built in an existing cemetery. The tower once had a bell which was said to have been thrown into a nearby lake. Tradition has it that backache can be cured by laying on St. Colman's grave (it lies behind the cathedral). Key's to the Grebe House and other locks can be obtained at the Tower View B & B (across the street) with a deposit of 5 Euro. History:The 7th century saint, Saint Colman, son of Duagh, established a monastery on land given him by his cousin King Guaire. According to legend, Saint Colman MacDuagh was walking through the woods of the Burren when his girdle fell to the ground. Taking this as a sign, he built his monastery on this spot. The girdle was said to be studded with gems and was held by the O'Shaughnessys centuries later, along with St. Colman's crozier, or staff. The girdle was later lost, but the crozier came to be held by the O'Heynes and may now be seen in the National Museum of Ireland. The Catholic encyclopedia says of St. Colman: "Bishop and patron of Kilmacduagh, born at Kiltartan c. 560; died 29 October, 632. He lived for many years as a hermit in Arranmore, where he built two churches, both forming the present group of ruins at Kilmurvy. Thence he sought greater seclusion in the woods of Burren, in 592, and at length, in 610, founded a monastery, which became the centre of the tribal Diocese of Aidhne." Other Items of Interest: This site was of such importance that it became the center of a new diocese in the 12th century. It is now merged with the Diocese of Galway. The monastery was plundered several times in the 13th century. The interesting carved stone features scattered throughout the small churches are worth searching for. These are mostly inserts from the late 11th to the 15th centuries.

Aerial View Of 1840s Famine Road In Ireland 2m57s

Aerial View Of 1840s Famine Road In Ireland

Throughout the west of Ireland, the landscape is scarred by strange criss-crossing roads that climb up into the hills then simply stop, incomplete, leading nowhere. These roads were the result of the forced labor of the Irish peasantry, who, under the strictures of the Poor Law and the reigning laissez-faire economic theory of the day, were made to work in exchange for food during the Great Famine. These roads remain, 150 years later, as visible marks in the Irish countryside, which in this as in so many things still bears the scars of history. Mumford & Sons Inspired by Hyde - Free Instrumentals https://soundcloud.com/davidhydemusic Creative Commons — Attribution 3.0 Unported— CC BY 3.0 http://creativecommons.org/licenses/b ... Music provided by Music for Creators https://youtu.be/5shSBRjyeiI

Moore Hall3m38s

Moore Hall

Music Credit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQKGLOK2FqmVgVwYferltKQ Compared to most other Irish big houses, the history of Moore Hall in County Mayo is exceptional. Moore Hall was built by George Moore (1727-1799) between 1792 and 1796. George Moore- The Builder Of Moore Hall George Moore (1727-1799) was a wine merchant who owned a fleet of ships and had made a vast fortune in Spain. He came from a Protestant family but George himself was Catholic. Originally from County Mayo and having gone into exile to Spain because of the restrictive Irish Penal Laws, George wanted to retire in Ireland. He sold up in Spain and managed to purchase lands around Lough Carra, benefitting from a relaxing in the Penal Laws at this time. He took an oath of allegiance to the English crown so that he would be able to have tenants on his land to generate some income. The house, Moore Hall itself, was a status symbol for a man of his means as well as a fulfillment of a longstanding dream. The Design Of The House Moore Hall was of architectural significance having been designed by the architect John Roberts who also designed Waterford Cathedral and Tyrone House in Galway. It was decorated with beautiful Italian plasterwork, traces of which can still be seen in the ruin of the house today if you look carefully.

One Man And His Castle 3m56s

One Man And His Castle

Michael bought this mansion some years ago and has spent most his life working on it himself. The aim of the proprietor, Mr Michael Keaney, is to maintain the house as close as possible to the way it was at the end of the 19th century. Michael bought Castle Ellen in 1974, when it was in an advanced state of disrepair. He has since made super-human efforts to restore it to some of its former glory, and under his auspices the house has been home to many artists, sculptors, and poets, and provides an oasis of calm and reflection in the busy modern world.

Breathtaking drone footage captures hidden Irish beauty 3m00s

Breathtaking drone footage captures hidden Irish beauty

At the far western edge of Ireland can be found the serene and tranquil Renvyle Peninsula. Far from the pressure of city life, it is a place in which to relax and enjoy the fresh sea air, the peace, tranquility and closeness of nature. The peninsula, one of Europe's most westerly was best described by Augustus John - "the most beautiful landscape in the world". It was the inspiration for renowned works of art by Yeats, Gogarty and Oscar Wilde and remains unchanged today. The scenic Renvyle Peninsula has something to offer people of all ages and interests. Long stretches of clean sandy beaches - swimming, scuba diving, shore angling, lake and river fishing, pony trekking, hill climbing, sea angling - boat hire adventure centre, aquarium, maritime museum and sea side park, scenic and wildlife coastal cruises. Renvyle Peninsula has been called "the loveliest landscape on Earth". It is a landscape shaped by time, nature and the people who call Renvyle home.

Ashleigh Falls, Co. Mayo. ireland 2m41s

Ashleigh Falls, Co. Mayo. ireland

Ashleigh Falls, Co. Mayo. Location used in Feature Film The Field. Located 1 km north of the Galway/Mayo border, this location provides views over Aasleagh Falls, a picturesque waterfall located on the River Erriff just before the river meets Killary Harbour.